Thursday, February 19, 2009

Another small step back

Ryan is 4 pounds 10 ounces today. He is still on full feedings and they are adding a more calories to his milk to help him grow faster. Of course the extra calories make my breast milk more like formula and it upsets his tummy. He is kind of uncomfortable after they feed him.

He was doing great with his oxygen. They had him down to 2 liters of high flow oxygen at 30-35 % of oxygen going through his nasal cannula. He has done good with that for 2 days and today, he was up to 50% oxygen. They move him back up to 3 liters of high flow and his oxygen needs started to go down right away. Hopefully he will take a little rest with the higher oxygen and be ready to go down again.

They had to give him a blood transfusion 2 days ago. They were hoping that would help his oxygen needs go down. He was low on red blood cells and they are the cells that carry oxygen in the blood. The theory was that if he had more red blood cells his body could better oxygenate and he would need less oxygen. So far that hasn't been the case but maybe it will all kick in soon.

I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. They haven't given me any kind of time frame but if things keep going like they are we should be able to bring him home in 3 or 4 weeks, at least that is what I think. I could be wrong, but I think by then he will be able to bottle feed and he should be on low enough oxygen we can bring him home on O2 if needed. In the meantime I am working on his bed room. I got it all painted and I am working on putting it all together. I should be done in another day or two so whenever Ryan is ready to come home he will have a place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment