Monday, March 16, 2009

It's all coming together!!

So since my last post Ryan has made it over the last hurdle. He stated taking all his feedings about Friday the 13th. On Saturday they were talking like maybe he could room in on Monday night. (Rooming in means we have to spend the night in the hospital to prove we can take care of him and handle the oxygen equipment he will be coming home on) However when I got the hospital Sunday they were testing him for more bacterial and viral infections because he had a really nasty diaper that they thought was suspicious. The doctor that was on Sunday didn't seem to think he was sick but he also didn't seem on board with Ryan going home. He increased his feeding amount from 50 mls to 55 mls. He also changed his feeding from being 55 mls per feeding to however much he wanted each feeding as long as it totaled 220 mls every 12 hours. While that sounds good it actually puts more pressure on him. His first feeding this morning he only took 30 mls and 55 at the next. That left he needing to take 140 mls over the next 2 feedings. The nurse gave him 70 each feed and I worked that little baby until he drank it all! He was so stuffed everytime he moved he spit up. But I wasn't going to let him fail. Failing means we have to stay longer at the hospital.

I was there when the doctor did rounds this morning. (not the same doctor he saw yesterday) She asked me how things were going and I said great we are hoping to get out of here soon. She asked me if they had been talking about him going home. I said they had, it was orignially Monday and then I heard Wednesday. She didn't really take the bait like I had hoped she would. She moved on to the next baby and then came back to get Ryan's chart to do her report. She asked me about my other boys and I told her that my two little ones had been at my mom's house since Ryan was born and that they are coming home this Wednesday and we were hoping to have everyone coming home about the same time. That bait she took, she said she better check to see if we could room in Tuesday night so that Ryan could go home Wednesday. We are offically scheduled to room in tomorrow provided nothing goes wrong between now and then.

Ryan will be going home on oxygen. They ordered what we needed today from the medical supply company. We have to be at the hospital by 1 pm tomorrow to get set up with the oxygen. Doug and I will stay the night in the hospital tomorrow night and prove to the nurses we can take care of Ryan and his oxygen needs and then we can go home Wednesday. Wow, I can't believe this day is finally here. Of course it scares me to death to think about having Ryan home and the other boys home. I know that God will give me strength to survive but I don't think it will be easy. I pray that Ryan doesn't have any major problems that would require him to be readmitted to the hospital or worse. I also pray that nothing happens in the next 24 hours to delay his home coming. We will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment