Thursday, March 12, 2009

So close yet so far away!

I am ready for Ryan to come home. One of these days I am just going to grab him and run. Think they will arrest me for stealing my own baby? I am starting to feel held hostage. Ryan is so close, he just has to taking all his feedings from the bottle. I mean really is this so hard? Lots of babies do it? I realize he shouldn't even be born yet but how long can you use that excuse?

Now Andrew has the flu and I am afraid I will infect Ryan by going to the hospital even though I don't have it. I can't stand the thought of not going to the hospital though. Ryan already avoided getting the bacterial infection going around the NICU, I would hate to be the one who made him sick. I am glad that none of the other boys are here to get the flu.

The ophthalmologist saw Ryan on the 10th. He said that his eyes are fully mature and he didn't see any problems with the development of his eyes. They are still following his liver dysfunction and it isn't getting any better, if anything it is worse. They have started him on a medication that will hopefully correct the problem and restore normal function. If this medication doesn't work they have told me there are others they can try. Beyond that I don't know where this could go.

They are working towards him coming home. They are starting to tell me how to take over his care. The doctor ordered that he take the car seat challenge. That means they put him in his car seat for 90 minutes and monitor him. If he has problems while in the car seat they will know if he needs more oxygen while traveling or if he needs a car bed to be transported in. I am taking their preemie infant CPR class tomorrow.

The next step is just his feedings. If he would only start taking all his feedings. I don't know if it is him or the nurses or a combination of both. I can't be there for every feeding so I don't know how hard they try. They only give him 30 minutes to take his whole feeding too. They say that after 30 minutes he is burning more calories then he is taking in so it isn't worth it to force the feeding. Right now they put the rest of his feed down a tube into his stomach. Of course they won't send him home needing that so he has to learn to eat. I can usually get him to take his whole feed but not always. When he comes home I don't want to be giving him bottles anyway. I am hoping he will breastfeed, but I will do whatever they want us to do so we can get out of the hospital. Once he is home I can work all the details out with the pediatrician.

Please pray that Ryan takes all his feedings. It is the last hurdle to coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment