Monday, December 22, 2008

Day 11 -- 25 weeks 2 days

We made it another day. Doug better watch out I have the internet and a debit card. Yesterday I ordered 2 books about preemies and a preemie baby book. I figured I better start getting ready and really like I have anything better to do.

They started doing 2 hours of baby monitoring yesterday. What does that mean? I sit in the exact same spot till my butt is so sore I can't stand it and hold a monitor on my belly for 2 hours. It's not like when they hook you up to the monitor at full term. Then they just put the belt on you and it stays put and picks up the baby's heartbeat. Because the baby is so small I have to put pressure on the monitor to make it pick up his heartbeat and he moves a lot so I loose his heartbeat often and it takes forever to find him again. So while more monitoring of the baby sounded like a good thing I am not sure it is.
Sunday night must be a good night for women to go into labor. I was up half the night listening to wailing women in the rooms on either side of me. I just have to be thankful I am not in labor.

The neonatologist from the NICU came by yesterday. I don't know if she was very comforting. She told me the possible complications which I had already read about. When I tried to be positive about making it to 28 weeks she was quite negative about how the baby would fair long term even at 28 weeks. Now while I don't want to kid myself about what the outcome could be I also have to be positive that there can be a good outcome. I can deal with the baby needing a lot of help in the NICU and that there maybe complications and problems but I have to believe that once we take him home he won't continue to have major problems. This has always been my biggest fear is to have a child with major problems. Although my fear is really just having a child with neurological problems. I can deal with most anything else. You just can't fix or overcome brain damage in most cases. Who knows God didn't give me my deepest desire to have a girl maybe he will give me my deepest fear? I just have to have faith that He will make good out of this in some way. He has filled me with peace during my week here. I was very upset for the first couple of days but I pressed into God and He has calmed my fears.

The good news from today is they took my IV access out. I have had nothing but trouble with IV's since I got here and finally they are done giving me IV antibiotics and I convinced the nurse to remove the access from my hand today. They also quite monitering my contactions at night. I haven't had any contactactions since I got here but they were monitering me 24/7 for contractions. They decided I might sleep better without the moniter on. I don't know if that is true, it was kind of comforting to know someone was watching the moniter while a slept and even if I didn't feel the contraction they would know. I think based on how early I am that the monitor may not pick up my contractions even if I did have them. If I have one I am sure that I will know it. Just keep praying that I don't have any contractions. We want to avoid that.

No comments:

Post a Comment