Monday, January 12, 2009

Jan 12, 2009

Today was a better day. My pain is not as bad. I have been able to get out of bed more and walk around more. I was thinking I couldn't walk to the NICU but I will have to be able to walk from the parking lot to the NICU once I get out of here, so I figured I should work on that. I did walk down to the NICU and back all by myself tonight. They are saying I should get to go home on Thursday. That is the longest they can keep me. Ryan on the other hand will probably be here until his due date in April. So it will be a long haul of trips everyday to Reno.

Today Ryan is doing well, he was stable with assistance as the nurse put it. He is still on the respirator which they have added nitric oxide to the oxygen. With the help of the nitric oxide they were able to lower his oxygen level to 30%. They had the nitric level at 30 yesterday. It was down to 20 this afternoon and tonight he is down to 5. They said after 12 hours they will reduce his nitric level every hour by 1%. By this time tomorrow he could be off the nitric all together. They have also put a PIC line in so they were able to remove several of the IV sites he had. They haven't had to sedate him much as he is resting comfortably without it. They gave him a sponge bath today and now he is resting comfortably on his tummy. He is so tiny, his feet are about an inch long. His head is the size of a medium orange. From head to toe he is about the size of a loaf of bread. He has such a sweet face. I just want to pick him up and kiss him. It sounds like in another week or two I maybe able to hold him. If he wasn't on the type of respirator he is I actually could hold him now. Once he can change to another respirator Iwill get to hold him for a little while each day. I am looking forward to that.

I just keep hearing good reports from the nurses in the NICU. They say he is big for only being 28 weeks. They say he looks more like a 30 week baby. He is strong and he is definitely fighting to make it. What else can we ask for? They said in a few weeks he will be able to wear some clothes in the NICU so that has given me something to do, shopping for preemie things online. He is so tiny I can't imagine puttng clothes on him. He will be so cute!

2 comments:

  1. Thank God for blogs! It is so good to be able to check in on you without "bothering" you, but I will probably still call you today. That little boy is just PRECIOUS. Seeing him chokes me up, but also fills me with hope. He is going to be a-okay(: I'm glad your pain is better...please let us at MOPS know if there is anything we can be doing in the way of meals, babysitting, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Holly! Man, good to hear Ryan is doing a little better....I am praying like crazy for you lady! Let me know if there is anything I can do, anything at all!

    ReplyDelete