Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My last day in the hospital

Tomorrow they kick me out of the hospital. I will leave with mixed feelings. While I am looking forward to going home and being with my family, I am not sure how I will be able to leave Ryan here. If they would let me sleep in the NICU I would. I am afraid that my life will expect me to pick up where I left off and I will have a hard time getting away to be with Ryan. I know that is probably not the case, I have to be here and I will be. Just like I have to be home and I will be there as well. I think I better start praying for my health.

No news is good news! At least that is what Ryan nurse told me tonight. She said they did an ultrasound on his heart today. When I asked her if all looked well she said the doctor would tell me and if they didn't call to update me then there was nothing to worry about and I didn't need to ask. Well if she know me she would know that doesn't work for me. I want to know what was found even if it was normal. What I did learn was not to ask that nurse for info.

Ryan is off the nitric oxide and his oxygen is down to 35% on the respirator. They did start him on photo-therapy last night for jaundice. I feel bad for him because it is drying out his skin and it probably isn't comfortable lying there under that light. They cover their eyes but still it doesn't look like fun. They still haven't have to sedate him. At first I thought it was a good sign he wasn't being sedated but then I realized it's not. The nurse said he probably doesn't feel good so he just lies there and isn't very active, thus they don't have to sedate him. If he felt well he would be more active and they would be sedating him. So really sedation is a good sign.

They are doing he testing less often. They were running his labs and basic test every 4 hours. Yesterday they went to every 6 hours and tonight they were down to every 8 hours. That's positive. He has also gained weight. He was born weighing 1310 grams, which is about 2 lbs. 14 oz. Yesterday he weighed in at 1357 grams. What does that work out to? 1360 grams is 3 lbs. so he is not quite 3 lbs. Of course he hasn't lost any weight so that is probably still to come.

My milk came in and I have been pumping and the NICU is freezing my milk. As soon as he is able to start getting food, it will be ready and waiting for him. That should help him put on some more weight. It sure helped his brothers.

So far I can't complain. As hard as it is to see my baby hooked up to machines and full of IV's, he is here. He is still alive and he is not having any major problems. That is more then a lot of the NICU parents can say. I know God is with him even when I can't be. God is there holding his tiny body and helping him make it into the world.

Wow my meds make me want to pass out. I got them a little over an hour ago and they are kicking in. It is all I can do not to fall asleep. I actually already have twice since I got the meds. I guess that is why they don't want me to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment