Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ryan is off the CPAP and back on high flow oxygen. His oxygen requirements are lower this time. Last time he was on high flow he needed between 50 and 60% oxygen. Today his oxygen needs were between 40 and 45%. He doesn't seem to be working as hard to breath this time. Hopefully the CPAP gave his body enough of a break that he will take off from here and get stronger and be able to wean off the O2 soon.

They are still having some problems with his feedings. They are still only giving him 1 ml but they bumped it up to every 3 hours instead of every 6 hours. The doctor is hoping that will jump start his digestive system. I hope so because I have enough milk in my freezer to feed all the kids in the NICU.

The next concern are the bleeds in his brain. He has a bleed on both sides of his brain. There are 4 levels of brain bleeds and his are level 2 which is better then 4. The bleeds haven't gotten into his brain tissue yet which is a good thing. If they do get into the brain tissue then they start talking about cerebral palsy. I am letting that fear and worry go to God. It is such an over whelming thought I can't handle that one myself.

I am hanging in there. I am planning on staying at the Ronald McDonald House on Tuesday night so that I can have a whole day at the hospital. I will see how that goes and I may make it a weekly thing. I do have my first social event scheduled. I am going to Bunco on Monday night. I figure I need to get back into my life.

Maybe getting back into my life will help my brain work better. I had to drive back to the hospital last night after already being there because I left some parts of my breast pump at the hospital. But it was God's plan, I got to have a date with my sweet boy. We went out to dinner and he got a new toy to play with at the hospital while I went into the NICU. He isn't allowed in as he is under 12. I knew I couldn't go in the NICU and grab my stuff and leave without spending a few moments with Ryan, so I had to make sure he had something to occupy his time with. Of course the nurse wanted to know if I wanted to hold Ryan. Since his day nurse hadn't let me hold him I would have loved to but they want you to commit to an hour and I couldn't do that to Andrew. We had a good evening though and Andrew got to check out the hospital cafeteria which sounded like the most interesting part of the hospital to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment